Tuesday, October 9, 2012

October 9th, 2012: [REC]

Behold! Another movie I haven't seen that I saved for this month.  I heard a lot about [REC] on the internet and knew that Quarantine was the US remake of this Spanish film.  It's on a lot of top horror movies lists and is a frequent discussion topic on Bloody-Disgusting, my go-to website for all things horror.  After reading some reviews, I was blown away and just had to add it to this year's list.

In my opinion, most American remakes of foreign horror films are a waste of time (the one exception being Let Me In, the 2010 US remake of the Swedish masterpiece, Let The Right One In).  I heard about Quarantine before [REC] and thought it looked very mundane.  However, when I read about [REC] and saw screen caps of film, it got my attention right away.  After doing some research I found out that the US remake is a shot-for-shot replication of the original.  I don't know how I feel about that; why not just watch the original with English subtitles?


"The film escalates the situation goes from under control to loose cannon to complete chaos, ending in what could be one of the scariest moments ever caught on film. My nails were dug deep into the armrest of the seats and I found myself howling in excitement nearly ever few minutes. [REC] has it all and is probably one of the best Spanish horror films in recent memory." - Mr. Disgusting, Bloody Disgusting

The title, [REC], comes from the use of the abbreviation of the word RECORD on video cameras.  The film is set up in a "found footage" scenario featuring a television reporter and her camera man.  Together, they are following a firefighter crew for a segment for their reality television series.  After the fire crew receives a distress call from a nearby apartment building, they come to find an elderly woman has locked herself in her apartment.  They break down the door and everything goes downhill from there. 


"[REC] belongs in your horror library. At the very least you can love this DVD for the film. The movie is that damned good". - Steve "Uncle Creepy" Barton, Dread Central

ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 98%

This movie is TERRIFYING!  I haven't jumped this much in a long, long time. One of the great things about it is that it's straight to the point, at a running time under 80 minutes.  What makes this film so crazy is a combination of the reality show storyline, shaky cameras, and graphic violence.  Every element made the whole thing seem real.  I really wish I could have seen it in the theater, I would have lost it!

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment