Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 31st, 2012: Runner Up Halloween Pick - Trick 'r Treat

 "Feels not just like a series of stories set on Halloween, but a blood-spattered portrait of what makes this holiday so beloved, so dangerous, and so much damn fun." - Brian Juergens, campblood.org

 After spending all of yesterday and this morning trying to figure out what my picks were going to be for tonight, I finally found them.   I knew I wanted to post about 2 films that a) take place on Halloween night b) are very bloody c) involve candy in someway, and finally d) have set the bar or brought back memories of when horror movies seemed flawless.  Well, guess what? There are only a handful of those films and I watched all of them last year.

I know I said I wasn't going to repeat anything from last year but I am also big on traditions when it comes to certain events, Halloween being one of them. I didn't want to take a chance picking a movie that would leave a bad taste in my mouth (or yours). I absolutely had to end on a good note. Last Halloween I ended with The Exorcist, which in my opinion, is STILL one of the scariest movies to ever be made. Originally I wanted to end every Halloween night with it but I think if I watch it too often it's not going to be as shocking.

My Halloween picks of the evening may not add up to The Exorcist, but they are two of the greatest Halloween Horror movies ever made.  One is a classic (which I'll reveal later) and the other is a film gave hope for the horror genre again.  In 2009, the Saw franchise was still going strong.  I have said in previous entries that I don't necessarily hate the franchise, I simply believe in putting and ending to something before it has the chance to disintegrate. Saw IV-The Final Chapter certainly exceeded its time and even kept other horror movies out of the theaters. 

Trick 'r Treat just so happens to be one of the films that was prevented from seeing the big screen.  It was originally supposed to be released on October 5, 2007 but was pushed back by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.  The companies feared it would have created a disaster in the box office while competing with Saw IV.  Trick 'r Treat finally started screening at several film festivals and was critically acclaimed.  It eventually became a direct to DVD and Blu-ray released exactly a year after it was supposed to be seen in theaters.


"This movie loves Halloween so much you can almost taste the candy corn." - Rob Gonsalves, efilmcritic.com

  ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 85%

Trick 'r Treat easily became one of my favorite movies instantly.  There's so much to love about it.  The ambiance, the scares, the soundtrack, and the cast are flawless and make Halloween even more intriguing. This is the best Horror anthology I have seen since Creepshow (V/H/S is probably tied now).  If your in the mood for something fairly new and perfect for this holiday, this film is your best selection.

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment