Saturday, October 20, 2012

October 20th, 2012: Livid

Like V/H/S, I have been waiting all year to watch Livid.  I originally tried to watch it last Spring, but being a French film it was impossible to find a copy with english subtitles.  I finally found a copy a few months ago but it took every ounce of self-control to not watch it until this month. 




Livid is the second film by Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, the writers and directors of my favorite slasher film right now, Inside.  They originally wanted to shoot in the United Kingdom, making their English-language debut. Unfortunately, during the beginning stages of production they started losing control over their creativity. This resulted in Maury and Bustillo moving to French production with a lower budget.

Even though these directors are still emerging from their rookie status, they are  some the best out there right now.  I feel like they are a couple of the few writers that can tell original stories and I'm not just talking about those in the horror genre.  After seeing this film, I truly think they are capable of anything.  

Maury and Bustillo are incredibly gifted with the camera as well.  They posses a admirable vision accompanied with marvelous creativity that translates beautifully on the screen.  When someone can take a scene full of graphic violence and turn it into art, they are cool in my book.


ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 88%

Once again these directors deliver a plot I can't really talk about without spoiling it. Just watch it. Inside too.

- Colby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment