Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 31st, 2012: Part II - Maniac

Maniac is a slasher film from 1980. I picked it for today is because I meant to watch it earlier this month but forgot about it.  Yesterday I was reminded that there is a remake of this movie coming out next year and it's received phenomenal reviews so far.  Bloody Disgusting gave it a 4.5/5, IFC Midnight is putting it out, and it was written by Alexandre Aja (High Tension).  Not to mention the lead is played by Elijah Wood.  I would say those are enough reasons to see the remake.

Around the time of the original's release, it was somehow overlooked by the popular slasher films Halloween and Friday the 13th.  However it helped pave the way for other movies including A Nightmare on Elm Street.  Due to its extremely violent content it was blacklisted.  It eventually became a cult film 15 years later and is still enjoyed by many '70s and '80s horror fans.



ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 38%

It blows my mind that this film received so many negative reviews.  There are times it felt like I was almost watching Taxi Driver.  Well, not quite that good, but it certainly had a similar feeling.  The action is non-stop and it's definitely bloodier than most '80s horror films.  I would say it has made my top 10 slashers list.

-Colby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment