Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30th, 2012: Double Feature - The Roost and Frontier(s)

It's getting very difficult to choose what to watch.  When I was preparing for this blog I downloaded a ton of movies and there's several that I have yet to even get to and probably won't.  The pressure is on for me these last few days  to please those of you who actually read this and I want to do a great job. As much as I would love to repeat traditional favorites from last year, I'm going to stick with my challenge of posting movies that I haven't. 


"Anyone who says they don't make 'em like they used to just isn't looking hard enough." - Jeremiah Kipp, filmcritic.com

The first pick of the night is another Ti West film, his second in fact, entitled The Roost.  Ever since I watched The House of the Devil the other day, I have been looking up any information I can find on this director and stumbled across this movie.  The moment I read "Halloween night" in the synopsis, I knew it would be fitting for this evening.  Plus, just look at the poster!

The Roost was ranked in the top 10 movies of 2005 on horror website, Bloody-Disgusting.  It also screened at South by Southwest Film Festival, Woodstock Film Festival, Sitges Film Festival, Fright Fest, The Fantasia Film Festival, and Los Angeles Film Festival the same year.  



ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 53%



"A bludgeoning, bloody trawl through the cliches of survival horror, with a strong contemporary political subtext - and as with any good barbecue, there is plenty of red sauce, and absolutely nothing has been left underdone." - Anton Bitel, Film4

When I first heard of Frontier(s), I was waiting to eat at Kuma's Corner.  For those who don't know, Kuma's is a restaurant that serves enormous burgers named after metal bands.  They are not your average place, for example, they have a TV and will not put on any sports.  Instead they play nothing but kung fu and extremely violent movies.  It just so happens, I saw this one in their stack of DVDs.

I looked it up when I got home and noticed that it was French. This wasn't too long after I saw Inside for the first time, so right away I knew that it was going to be good.  It happened to be praised by many of the critics the I follow as well. The main reason I picked it tonight was because I read that it was better than Haute Tension and it just had to make this years 31 Days of Horror.



ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 55%



-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment