Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October 3rd, 2012: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

It's extremely hard to put into words about how much I love this movie.  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of the first movies that made me feel really uncomfortable.  I'm talking like when I watched the movie KIDS when I was 12 years old uncomfortable.  This is a movie that knows how to completely get under your skin...and even deeper than that.

Like Psycho, Tobe Hooper developed a story with elements based on the murders by Ed Gein.  However, with a lower budget and darker plot with even more twisted scenarios, Hooper went even further.  Psycho taught people how to write an amazing slasher script, while The Texas Chainsaw Massacre took slasher action scenes to a whole new level.  The film was banned outright in several countries, and numerous theaters later stopped showing the film in response to complaints about its violence.  It also received mixed reviews from critics but at the end of the day, it still made $31 million at the box office with a $300,000 budget.



"The most purely horrifying horror movie ever made."- Kim Newman, Empire Magazine

ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 91%

This movie isn't for everyone, but it definitely one to watch around this time of year.  I usually watch it during the summer because it also has a summer feel to it but I had to put on the list this year.  The remake is also good in my opinion but as Kevin Williamson wrote "the first rule of remakes, don't fuck with the original!" 

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment