Friday, October 26, 2012

October 25th 2012: Child's Play

Even though I am lacking options while I am at my parents' for my wedding this weekend, Child's Play is not a last resort.   Any kid who grew up in the '80s and '90s knows who Chucky is.   The question is, how do they remember him? There's the kids who found the character as a face of evil and was terrifying.  Of course there were the tough guys who said Chucky is stupid and only babies are scared of him.  Then there's people like me who found the idea of a doll actually coming to life and terrorizing its owner fascinating.




When I was younger I had a wild imagination and still do.  Way before Toy Story was released I'm sure every kid thought, "I wonder if my toys come to life when I'm not around?".  Todd Holland brought that vision to life in the most horrific way (for the '80s) and I have yet to see another doll horror film that has been as interesting as Child's Play.  I will say I don't condone the sequels.   I personally have only seen 1-3 and never bothered with the rest because they look terrible.  Up until 2008 I thought part 3 was decent but as I got older I realized it's shit.  All you need is the first and second.

The original Child's Play is one of my favorites because it's dark in comparison to the others.  The jokes are kept to a minimum as well as actual shots of Chucky.  Most of the scenes he's in, the camera is set within his point of view which makes the violent scenes much scarier.


ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 68%

- Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment