Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 31st, 2012: Part I - The Innkeepers


"Among the current crop of ghost stories, this is an outstanding effort. Ti West is shaping up as an authentic Master Of Horror." - Kim Newman, Empire Magazine

I just can't get enough of Ti West. I truly believe he is on the rise, especially after reading about his next film, The Sacrament.  The movie will feature Joe Swanberg from his segment in V/H/S and A.J. Bowen from The House of the Devil.  For the past 3 weeks West has been in Savannah, Georgia shooting the film.  According to Worldview Entertainment, plot details are being kept securely under wraps.  I have no doubt in my mind that this could be his best yet. Now the question is...will he use his formula?

The Innkeepers is one that not everyone is going to like.  In fact, I have had a friend who absolutely loves horror tell me she was disappointed in it.  I think the main reason I wasn't let down by this film is because I saw it before The House of the Devil (which the same friend recommended to me).  I have also read in reviews that it didn't live up to their hopes and kept comparing and contrasting it to HOD.

Honestly the two are completely different and it may only seem like they are similar because West put his style on it.  This formula involves a ton of dialogue and he usually waits until the 3rd act to give you any scares.  I appreciate this because the guy really knows how to write and give you a chance to get to know the characters.  By the time something happens I actually care about the characters its affecting.



ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 79%

The Innkeepers is the ideal horror movie to watch on Halloween for those of you who don't settle too well with gory scenes.  The characters are interesting, the acting is good, and the suspense is the best part.  This movie is a first of a few so I'll be back with more.

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment