Saturday, October 27, 2012

October 27th, 2012: Paranormal Activity 3



Ahh, the Paranormal Activity films... the latest horror franchise that will not come to an end.  I was okay with this at first but after the fourth installment came out this month, my feelings towards these films are starting to change.  When Paranormal Activity first came out I put off watching it for a year.  I wasn't that interested in the plot at first and just wanted the hype to settle down before I gave it a chance.  I heard a lot of mixed reviews from some friends but like I've said before, when it comes to horror movies, I don't listen. 

I watched Paranormal Activity at home in the dark, the way you should enjoy these films.  I can't imagine seeing any of these movies in the theaters.  First off, there's a lot of quiet moments that add to the scares.  All it takes is for one person to whisper, laugh, fart, etc. to ruin a scene that was intended to scare the audience.  These films are meant to make you jump and if you take that away, it's hard to enjoy them. 



ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 68%

While Paranormal Activity 3 isn't as powerful as the first two, it's still enjoyable if you like these movies.  You can tell they are dealing with a bigger budget 
now but they are using it in all the wrong ways.  The separates this installment from the others is there's a lot more CGI involved.  What made part 1 and 2 so enjoyable was the fact that it almost seemed real.  By adding CGI in this film I felt it took away its realism and I even laughed at a certain scene. 

I haven't had the chance to see Paranormal Activity 4 yet because I am waiting to watch it at home.  I'm not really impressed with the trailer but I would still like to see it.  They already announced Paranormal Activity 5 and it put a bad taste in mouth because I was hoping the 4th one would wrap things up.  Saw is the perfect example of a franchise that started out pretty solid and just took a nose dive in creativity and horror.  Paranormal Activity is the new Saw.  My advice to put it down before it kills itself.

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment