Friday, October 5, 2012

October 5th, 2012: The Amityville Horror (1979)

The Amityville Horror will always remind me of a fantastic night I had with my friends last summer.  My friend Chris and his family were moving out of their house that they had lived in for a long time.  It was a pretty big deal, not only to them but also to me and our circle of friends.  There were two houses we usually hung out at throughout high school;  If we weren't having band practice or watching movies in my parents' basement, we were watching movies in Chris' basement and eating all his family's snacks.  It was a 2nd or 3rd home to most of us.

Chris's family had already packed up and left but he stuck around for a little bit because he wasn't ready to leave yet and he didn't start his classes for another week or so anyway.  I was visiting my parents in Grand Island, so I happened to be in town and had made plans to see a movie with our friend Grant.  He called me up and told me about Chris's house situation and suggested we go over to spend one last night watching horror movies in the basement.  I was sold.

Something I left out about the house is that we truly believe it's haunted.  We all witnessed it firsthand at one point or another; we were always spending the night and crazy shit would happen.  Doors would open and close by themselves, loud noises would come out of nowhere, and sometimes we would even hear whispering voices.  So on this particular evening, it was only fitting for us to play hide and seek in the dark and watch The Amityville Horror.

  
The Amityville Horror is a film adaptation of a novel that was based on alleged "real life" paranormal experiences of a family.  However, the family's claims have remained controversial and questionable since the film's release.  Out of all of the movies with a story about people moving into a big house where the residents before them were murdered and crazy shit happens blah blah blah... this is the one that tops them all. 


ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 25% 

I'm not exactly sure why this film received so many negative reviews.  Anyone I know who has seen it thought it was pretty good, but like I said in my first post, horror movies don't always get the best reviews.

-Colby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment