Thursday, October 18, 2012

October 18th, 2012: The Thing (1982)



It took me a long time to decide whether or not I wanted to watch The Thing this month.  I only say this because it's THE perfect blizzard or snow day movie, and I usually save it for winter time.  Some of my favorite horror/thriller movies are based in snow settings (e.g. Fargo and The Shining).  I think that when snow is added to the film's environment it makes everything more complicated, whether it's trying to run away from something or driving.  It also adds more options to scare the audience.

In my opinion The Thing is John Carpenter's second best movie.  I've heard many say that it is their favorite but my boner for Halloween will never go away.  Yes, The Thing contains some of the best special effects for its time, but I once heard someone say there's nothing more terrifying than a person who loses their mind one day and picks up a knife.  I have to agree to not only that but it's obviously more realistic too.  I feel when you add realism to the story it makes you feel like you're apart of the movie thus making it more horrific.


ROTTEN TOMATOES RATING: 79%

The Thing did poorly in the box office but mainly because it was competing with E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial.  At the time Carpenter felt like a complete failure after receiving negative comments from fans, critics, and even the director of the original (The Thing from Another World, 1951), Christian Nyby.  Today it is considered to be one of the best science fiction horror films of all time and is still praised for its special effects. 

-Colby.

No comments:

Post a Comment