Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1st, 2013: The Birds




"A triumph of special effects, as well as the fountainhead of what has become known as gross-out horror." - J. Hoberman, Village Voice

The Birds is easily my favorite Hitchcock film.  Not only is it the first movie I saw by the legendary director but it also provides a unique style of horror unlike his other masterpieces.  I wouldn't say I'm completely afraid of birds. However, when one happens to randomly fly anywhere near my face, I automatically close my eyes and turn my head.  I'll go ahead and thank good ol' Alfred for that one. 

The story takes place in Bodega Bay, CA, which is 60 miles north of San Francisco.  What starts out to be a romantic triangle between three individuals is suddenly interrupted by unexplained violent bird behavior.  From ambushing a child's birthday party to a home invasion, these feathered creatures are unbelievably persistent and will not let up. 

What makes The Birds so terrifying is the lack of a score.  The silence during the film creates more depth in the suspense and makes its most intense moments much more powerful.  It's pretty much guaranteed that once you finish the movie, you will not be able to get that malicious squawking and screaming out of your head.

- CS


No comments:

Post a Comment