Saturday, October 12, 2013

October 12th, 2013: The Lords of Salem



"Polished and calculated, this is a nerve shattering fright fest bolstered by immaculate technique." - Drew Hunt, Chicago Reader


The Lords of Salem follows Heidi, a DJ at a radio station in Salem, Massachusetts.  One day, Heidi receives what appears to be a promotional package with a band's album inside. Upon listening to said album, Heidi begins experiencing visions of witches accompanied by strange occurrences in her life that ultimately end up changing her forever. 

Rob Zombie's films are not for everyone, I cannot stress that enough... Although I personally happen to love them.  My only complaint about his movies is the dialogue, which I have mentioned in previous posts (House of 1000 Corpses, The Devils Rejects).  Zombie's characters often tend to speak in fluent white trash.  However, the more I've watched these movies, the more I understand the reasoning behind using such dialogue.  I finally realized that the characters' interactions with one another in conversation and otherwise, are just part of the Zombie horror movie formula. 

With all that being said, The Lords of Salem is actually Rob Zombie's first film where he does NOT use the trashy dialogue.  In fact, I personally think that this is the best script he has ever written.  The audience can easily get lost in the plot at times but I believe it is intended.  I was also blown away by the visuals incorporated throughout the movie, as they have a Kubrick feel to them.  These scenes are so beautifully bizarre and abstract, one might consider this an art film. 

-CS


           

No comments:

Post a Comment