Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3rd, 2013: Insidious: Chapter 2


"A modestly scaled and highly pleasurable sequel to Wan's low-budget 2011 smash that should have genre fans begging for thirds." - Scott Foundas, Variety 


I don't usually write about sequels in 31 Days of Horror, but Insidious: Chapter 2 was one of the most anticipated horror movies of the year.  Its 2011 predecessor (which I haven't posted about yet) was critically acclaimed and left the audience clueless.  The second chapter simply picks up where the last story ended and fills in all the gaps that were left open before.

James Wan has had quite the year.  Over the summer, he scored a hit at the box office with The Conjuring, winning over those he failed to impress with his previous efforts (The Saw franchise, Dead Silence, Insidious, etc.)  Love him or hate him, he currently holds the heavyweight title in the mainstream Horror scene. 

At first I was skeptical about these creators releasing the two films so close together.  Before I saw The Conjuring, I thought it was going to be too similar to the scares in Insidious.  After seeing both movies I realized that I couldn't have been more wrong.  Insidious: Chapter 2 takes all the scares from the original and brings them to a completely new level.

By taking a familiar yet different approach to the plot, Whannell's screenwriting abilities continue to leave me speechless.  The second chapter to Insidious is unlike any other sequel I have seen in the horror genre.  Those who enjoyed the original will surely have great time with this film.  As the story unfolds, the feature's conclusion will only leave you wanting more.  

Surely we will be seeing a third chapter to Insidious, but it most likely will not be from its original creators.  Unfortunately, there are rumors that director James Wan used The Conjuring as his goodbye letter to the world of horror.  It's been said that Wan will be doing the next  Fast and the Furious movie.  I don't know if that means he's crazy or if I should have been watching the Fast and the Furious movies all along.  I guess we'll see what this horror mastermind has in store for us when he gets out of his comfort zone.

-CS







No comments:

Post a Comment