Thursday, October 24, 2013

October 24th, 2013: Army of Darkness



"Works in being a spooky and entertaining darkly comedic horror movie..." - Felix Vasquez Jr., Cinema Crazed

Army of Darkness is my least favorite installment of the Evil Dead trilogy.  After multiple viewings I have finally decided that I just don't really care for this movie.  This may come as a shock to most people seeing as it is highly respected in the horror genre.  I'm not sure what exactly it is that I don't like but the majority of the film just bores me.

The first two of the three films were almost flawless as they balanced the gore, humor, and scares perfectly.  Army of Darkness isn't supposed to be taken seriously but I wonder what it would have been like if director Sam Raimi went that direction instead.  There's nothing wrong with the comedy side of it but there are scenes where I feel like the slapstick stuff just gets out of hand.

Bruce Campbell recently confirmed that Army of Darkness 2 is in the works.  I'll go see it of course; it will be fun to see what the effects look like.  Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll have a different opinion on this film but until then, I'll stick with The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II.

-CS


No comments:

Post a Comment