Saturday, October 26, 2013

October 26th, 2013: The Grudge



"The Grudge is a decent horror diversion: barely a classic, but still pretty atmospheric and suspenseful in its own right." - Bill Gibron, DVDTalk.com


The Grudge is a US remake of the Japanese horror film Ju-on: The Grudge.  Separated by only 2 years, both movies are directed by Takashi Shimizu.  Sam Raimi (Evil Dead franchise, Spider-Man trilogy) also appears in the producing credits.  Even though it did well in the box office, The Grudge received mostly negative reviews. 

Tonight was honestly my first time watching this movie since I saw it in the theater, October of 2004.  This time around I feel like I gained a little more appreciation for the film.  I originally thought it was was boring and lacked a lot of structure. There are some pretty frightening moments but I find myself trying way too hard to give a shit about the characters.

To be fair, Buffy the Vampire Slayer veteran Sarah Michelle Gellar puts on a great performance.  In fact, she is one of the only reasons I decided to give this one a shot again.  It's hard to believe it was released almost 10 years ago. In that time I have decided that it is still a mediocre lightweight PG-13 supernatural horror flick, but when the scares are on, they're on.

-CS 


No comments:

Post a Comment